Why is Work Permit Needed?
The Russian government maintains a strict policy for foreigners visiting the Russian Federation. So, if you want to work from Russia, you need to have a Russia work permit visa. A valid Russian work permit authorizes your right to live and work in the world’s largest country.
About the Russia Job Market
Here are a few key things to note about the Russian job market if you are considering a big career move here.
Types of Russia Work Permit Visa Available
The process of getting a work visa for Russia is a little complex because of the strict laws. A foreign national coming to work in Russia must have both a work permit and a work visa. If you are from India, check out the different types of Russian work permit for Indian:
Also called an Employment visa, it allows foreigners to work in Russia. It is a single-entry work visa valid for 90 days. A multiple-entry work visa is issued for a maximum validity of 1 year, although it can be extended later up to 3 years.
Applicable for those who want to start or expand their business avenues in Russia. Those looking at investment opportunities also fall under this category. This is a multiple-entry visa with a validity of 5 years.
Highly Skilled Migrant Visa:
A special visa category aimed at skilled professionals. The Russian Federation grants these visas to highly qualified specialists (HQS) from foreign countries. The employee should have a salary of over 1 million Rubles. With a validity of three years, it also enables the holder to bring family members for a visa.
Requirements for a Russia Work Permit Visa by Russian Employers
The Russian employer initiates the first step to getting a work visa in Russia. It is a comparatively long process. The company must have a place in the quota established by the Department of Labour and Employment to hire foreign employees. For the same, they need to take the following steps:
- ~Apply to the Government Employment Service for foreign labor force quota.
- ~Submit company information with registration details.
- ~Obtain a certificate of tax registration.
- ~Get the necessary work permit from the Russian Directorate of Migratory Affairs.
- ~Extend the invitation to the foreign employee.
Requirements for a Russia Work Permit Visa by Russian Employees
To get a Russian work permit for Indian, they should have an invitation from the Russian company. In general, the Russia work permit requirements depend on the type of visa for which you are applying. Here’s the list of documents required for an employee:
- ~Russian work visa invitation letter issued by your Russian employer
- ~Letter of employment with details of the applicant, job role, and kind of work
- ~Original passport
- ~Completed Russia work permit visa application form
- ~2 passport-sized photographs
- ~Residence proof
- ~Bank statements (If you are self-employed, businessperson)
- ~Health insurance from a Russian company
- ~HIV Test Certificate (Only for Russian students and work visa)
Russia Work Permit Visa Application Process
Follow the steps to know how to get a work permit in Russia and start the application process:
- ~Get the Russian work visa invitation from your employer.
- ~Fill the application form on the official website of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- ~Collect all the required documents depending on the type of visa.
- ~Submit all the documentation at your nearest Russian consulate.
- ~Pay the fees.
- ~Wait for the processing of the visa application.
Timeframe for Russia Work Permit
The Russia work visa processing time should be taken into consideration before applying for a work permit here. It takes about 10-20 days for the processing of your visa. It also depends on your profession and the type of intended work. Russia’s work visa processing time can be faster (3 days) if there is an urgency from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia or the Federal Migration Service.
Work Permit Exceptions
These foreign nationals are exempt from the need for a Russian work visa:
- ~Foreign nationals who have already acquired a permanent residence permit
- ~Employees in diplomatic missions or consular institutions of Russia in overseas countries
- ~Journalists accredited in Russia
- ~Those invited to Russia for teaching in educational institutes
- ~Foreign employees carrying out installations, repairs, and servicing of installed equipments
- ~Students with Russian Student visas working in their holiday time or at the place of study
How Does Multiplier Help With Work Permit?
Getting a work visa for Russia for foreign employees is a lengthy process, but Multiplier is here to help. As a global EOR solution with local entities in over 100 countries, we help you employ an excellent team from around the world. Additionally, our HR suite of qualified experts guarantees end-to-end solutions to all users.
Using our SaaS-based solution, you can raise a request for a Russian work permit. And our experts will do the rest. The entire application process will be handled by our in-house team, taking care of all the necessary documentation. Be assured about being informed about every step of the process.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Russia Exit Visa?
To leave Russia, foreign nationals need to get an Exit Visa to leave the country. It is granted if your current visa has expired or you have lost your passport.
How do I Register my visa in Russia?
According to Russian law, every foreign visitor (tourist or work) must register their visa within seven business days upon arrival to the Russian Federation. It involves getting a stamp on your passport or migration card. You will then receive a registration slip that shows details of your stay/sponsor organization.
- ~Registration of tourists takes place at the hotel you are staying at.
- ~If you are staying in private apartments, the landlord does your registration.
- ~An application for visa registration must be filled and submitted to the local FMS office, where you submit a copy of your passport, migration card, and visa.
Note, the registration process is completed by the “receiving entity”. Therefore, you do not need to register your visa if you stay in the country for less than six business days.
Can I work in Russia on Tourist visa?
No. To work in Russia, a foreign has to apply for a work visa. In addition, you must have a valid work permit at all times to work in Russia.
Can I work in Russia on a Student Visa?
Yes, international students can work at a university or related organizations. However, they can work only in their free time under certain conditions.
How can I extend my Russian work visa?
To extend the work visa, you will first need the extension of your work permit.
- ~You will have to apply for renewal via the Ministry of External Affairs.
- ~Submit the required documents well before the deadline of your permit.
- ~Start the procedure of extension well in advance as it can take more time for processing.